OIT provides hosting for traditional HTML-based sites for groups who prefer to manage their content using Web site development software such as Dreamweaver. Clients are provided with SSH and SFTP access to a Linux-based server for uploading and managing HTML sites. Sites can be managed and published using Web development software such as Dreamweaver or by hand using a text editor.
See Web Hosting at UMass Amherst.
Responsibilities of the HTML Site Administrator
- Maintain a valid UMass Amherst email address. Site administrators must maintain a valid email address so OIT can keep them informed of the status of their account, the server, and other necessary information.
- Inform OIT if the site administrator changes. The site administrator is the sole contact between their department or organization and OIT. OIT uses this contact information in the Site Administrator Contract to keep site administrators informed of server maintenance, security updates, and service outages.
- Keep the site content accurate and current. The site administrator is responsible for keeping the content on the site up-to-date and accurate.
- Follow UMass identity guidelines. All designated UMass Amherst Web sites, must adhere to the UMass Amherst identity guidelines. For more information, see: University Relations - Web Guidelines.
Obtaining Space on the UMass Server
Read the UMass Web Site Account Agreement and complete a Site Administrator Contract. Each department or organization must have a signed Site Administrator Contract on file with OIT. The contract is signed by both the head of the department or organization and the site administrator, i.e., the person responsible for overseeing the development and maintenance of the site. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 413-545-1833 with any questions.
- Obtain a Subsidiary OIT Account. Once a department or organization completes and submits the Site Administrator Contract, OIT will create a “subsidiary role” OIT Account for use with the site. This account will be used for site administration and is associated with the requesting organization/department. In the event the site administrator changes, responsibility and ownership of this account must be passed on to the new site administrator.