State and federal legislation and University policies mandate that campus departments adequately protect the sensitive data available to them. Through this initiative, OIT seeks to help departments fulfill these legal obligations and reduce the risks associated with potential security breaches.
?As part of this project, faculty and staff in participating departments:
- ?Learn more about sensitive data at UMass Amherst.
- ?Use Identity Finder software to help them find, inventory, and secure certain types of sensitive data on desktops, laptops, or other media.
- Remove or store sensitive data securely based on the results of their Identity Finder scans and other information.
Reasons to Join This Project
- University-owned computers in your department might have unprotected sensitive data that puts you and your colleagues at risk in the event of a security breach.
- In the event of a security breach, your department may be held financially responsible for the cost of the breach, lose its accreditation, and risk legal action, among other serious consequences.
- Your department will be in compliance with the University's data security requirements.
- Resources and support are available from OIT for a limited time.
All departments are encouraged to join this initiative. Department heads and/or IT professionals can contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss a timeline suitable for their department.
How OIT Can Help
These resources are available for a limited period of time.
- Data classification presentation & documentation. We will work with you to schedule a presentation at a time that is convenient for you and your colleagues. This can be a stand-alone event or part of an existing staff meeting.
- Software installation support. We can help install Identity Finder in your department and run the first scan.
- Consulting. We can assist departments with choosing a secure file storage alternative or developing internal data protection policies.
Support Center Articles
- Data Protection Action Plan
- Data Classification at UMass Amherst
- Understand Sensitive Data at UMass Amherst
- Identity Finder F.A.Q.
- Locate & Protect Sensitive Data on Your Computer with Identity Finder (Windows)
- Locate & Protect Sensitive Data on Your Computer with Identity Finder (Macintosh)
- Interpret Identity Finder Results