OIT's Travel Laptop Program makes ultra-portable laptops available to full-time UMass Amherst employees (faculty and staff) for short-term use for domestic or international travel. Travel does not have to be on University business in order to borrow a laptop through this program.
Faculty and staff can borrow laptops for up to two weeks. Exceptions may be made under special circumstances, subject to availability, and at the discretion of OIT. Laptops are not available for extended travel, sabbaticals, or as departmental replacements.
There are two laptop models, subject to availability: Lenovo X100 series ultrabook (Windows) or Apple MacBook Air 11" (Mac OS X).
- Windows 7 or Mac OS X
- Internet Explorer (Windows) or Safari (Mac OS X) & Google Chrome browsers
- Flash, Java & AIR plug-ins
- Select Microsoft Office software
- Select Adobe software
- Anti-virus & anti-malware software
- Select utility software (e.g., VPN software)
You will not be able to modify system settings or install new software. Laptops have been configured to provide access to email, Internet, and select software while also staying in compliance with United States Federal export regulations and University security policies. They are configured to balance security and convenience and are not intended to replace your usual, daily use laptop.
Each laptop comes with a travel case, charger, power supply (110-240V, 50/60 Hz), travel converter, and an external CD/DVD drive.
In order to comply with the University's security policy, state laws, and Federal export and privacy laws, you should not copy or download any sensitive University data onto the hard drive of this computer. Sensitive University data includes, but is not limited to research data, University business information, and the personally identifiable information of students, faculty, and staff.
Laptops must be reserved at least two weeks before your departure. To check availability and reserve a laptop, please email email@example.com with the following information:
- Laptop pick-up date
- Laptop drop-off date
- Desired laptop model (Mac OS X or Windows)
You will receive a confirmation and further instructions as well as the date and place for picking up your laptop.
Prior to returning the laptop to OIT, transfer any data saved on the hard drive that you want to keep to an external storage device. Once returned, all laptops will be wiped, re-formatted, and re-imaged immediately. Any data left on the laptop will be destroyed and will not be retrievable.
On This Page:
- For how long can I borrow a laptop?
- What types of laptops are available?
- What software is available on these laptops?
- Can I install new software on this laptop?
- What accessories come with the laptop?
- Can I work with student data on this laptop?
- How do I sign up to use one?
- What happens upon my return?